City calls East Side bar a ‘public nuisance’ and orders it to be demolished

0

The city of San Antonio recently ordered the demolition of an East Side bar because of its “unsafe environment”.

Twin Sisters Cantina, located at 1701 S. Hackberry St., has been the site of serious criminal activity for the past three years and poses a danger to patrons and nearby residents, according to a statement from the city attorney’s office. . According to the city, police have responded to more than 300 calls in recent years reporting disturbances, shootings and other criminal activity at the bar.

From ExpressNews.com: Kendall Jenner’s 818 Tequila is a rip-off of the Texas company’s brand, lawsuit claims

District 2 Councilman Jalen McKee-Rodriguez’s office said it received numerous calls last month regarding “lewd behavior, shootings and suspected drug activity” at Twin Sisters Cantina.

On January 28, the bar was temporarily closed by a district court after investigations and inspections by multiple city departments.

While the bar was closed, the City Attorney’s Office Dangerous Assessment Response Team visited the establishment and took photos that showed poor conditions inside and outside the building. , including blood on the floor, trash and poor construction.

On February 10, the city’s building standards board, made up of citizens who listen to calls from building owners who violate San Antonio’s property maintenance code, ordered the building to be demolished because the property was a “dangerous premise” and a “public nuisance”. .”

A city spokesperson said building owner Daren Hensley agreed with the demolition order.

The demolition will take place after a county court evicts the tenant, which is expected to happen sometime in March, the city said.

One of the bar’s owners, Israel Isaiah Castro, told the Express-News that he planned to close the business due to the recent unrest.

“I never intended to own such a dangerous place. I wanted something much nicer for the community, and in the end it turned into something I couldn’t stop or control. Castro said “I had my life almost taken there a few times.”

Castro, 32, opened the bar with David Martinez in 2018, according to a former MySA article. He said he hopes to open another business elsewhere in San Antonio.

Hensley could not be reached for comment.

[email protected]

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.