Halloween is this weekend and Thanksgiving is next month, which means it’s time to start preparing for Christmas.
Advent is the four week period leading up to Christmas. This year, it takes place from Sunday November 28 to Friday December 24.
The tradition of Advent calendars began in the 1800s, according to Mental Floss. German Protestants are said to have decorated their doors with chalk marks or lighted candles to count each day before Christmas.
Advent calendars as we know them today were invented by Gerhard Lang in the early 1900s. When Lang was a child, his mother gave him 24 cookies and ate one a day. This served as the inspiration for him to create the first printed and commercial Advent calendar in 1908.
Since then, calendars have exploded in popularity and have become more and more wacky over the years. Some cost less than $ 20, while others are over $ 1,000.
From Squid Games to Legos to the fancy chocolate of your dreams, 2021 Advent calendars are far from typical.
Even if you’re not celebrating Christmas, we could all use a little joy and surprise to start our days.
Because, I mean, duh.
- For those of you who rely on a little caffeine boost to start your day, this Keurig “24 Cups of Joy” Advent Calendar might be the one for you.
- If coffee is making you nervous, or if you really like the taste of “garbage water” (as Ted Lasso would say), this Tea Forte Advent Calendar is for you.
- To all Harry Potter lovers, hang on to your seat belts. I mean, brooms. This Advent Calendar gives you the chance to try all your favorite Harry Potter related treats.
- Dolly Parton understands the pain of working 9am to 5pm, but she can help you get through this Advent calendar.
- Hot Ones fans can feel the burn for themselves with this 25 Sauces of Christmas calendar.
- This Godiva calendar includes everything your chocolate sweetie could possibly want.
- Known for its melt-in-the-mouth pancakes, Lady M’s Advent Calendar is shaped like a crown, adorned with LED lights, and packed with sweet treats.
- Dogs are family too, and this dog cookie calendar ensures your pet is included in all the fun.
For kids or for those of us trying to bring out our inner child, these are a few options that lead to maximum fun.
Following:City of Detroit Partners with Tech Startup to Help Identify Main Water Service Lines
Following:Detroit Independent Drama “Time Now” Explores Mystery of Young Artist’s Death
Listen. It has been a difficult year. There is a pandemic that has killed tens of thousands of Michiganders and caused additional stress for just about everyone. Sometimes you just need a drink to relax. Healthy coping mechanisms, if you know what I mean.
And these calendars give you a drink every time. Alone. Day. What’s not to like?
Contact Emma Stein: [email protected]